Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Rori's Taquito's


I love Mexican food.... I just wish I could make it way better! If I had my way, going out to the local Mexican restaurant on a daily bases would be in my plans.
One year we were making a Mexican theme for my sister-in-laws birthday. Nathan and I were going to bring taquitos for everyone. I got to the store and taquitos were ungodly expensive for that many people. So as I was at the store trying to figure out how to not spend $50.00 plus on taquitos, I thought... there has to be a way to make them on your own. So this is what I came up with, I have been making these taquitos for a few years now. They are super easy and work out great for any appetizer. Everyone always raves about them. We also use them for a dinner once in a while. When I do this though, I make bigger ones, just with more filling and they are a bit more filling. My hubby loves having left over ones that he can take for lunch the next day. One recommendation I do have though, if you want to freeze these, cook them prior to freezing them and then heat them up in the oven or microwave. Don't freeze them, defrost them and then try and fry them... the left over water from being frozen splatters and hurts - trust me!!
8 CHICKEN TENDERS OR 4 CHICKEN BREASTS

1 CAN OF BLACK BEANS – DRAINED AND UNCOOKED

2 CANS/JARS OF CHEESE DIP (Tostitos Queso Dip is the best)

1-2 PACKETS OF TACO SEASONING

2 TABLESPOONS OF LIME JUICE – OR ONE LIME

FLOUR TORTILLA SHELLS

OIL TO FRY TAQUITOS


Boil Chicken for 25-30 minutes until done. Drain and let cool. Sheared when cooled. Drain black beans and add to shredded chicken. Add in packets of taco seasoning and stir together. (I add seasoning until the chicken is all covered with seasoning, but add to taste.) Add in lime juice and cheese sauce. Mix all together. Scoop 1-2 spoonful’s (enough to spread from side to side in tortilla shell but not too much so it won’t roll up.) roll up tortilla and place into med-high oil. (Make sure that the closing of the tortilla is down in the oil first. I hold the whole taquito down to make sure it will not pop open for about 30 seconds. Be careful with them popping open and also the tortillas tend to bubble a lot so just pop the bubbles with your tongs. If any of the black beans get into the oil get them out quickly because they will make the oil spatter a lot!) Fry them until golden brown and set on plate with paper towel to cool a bit.
** If you don't like black beans, these are good without them too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment