Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Loaded Bake Potato Soup

Burrr! I guess it is mid November and I should get use to the fact that it is going to be cold! But the last few days it's  been so cold and rainy, I just want to curl up on the couch with a fire and a blanket. First, we don't have a couch - long story there - and second, yeah like the kids will ever let Mom relax. So I opted to make soup, that always makes me warm and feel better.
Like I said earlier, I never learned how to cook from my mom, grandmother etc. While I wish I had some old recipe from my great great Grandmother, I have to settle for Pinterest and The Food Network.  So I experiment a lot. And while I like something, the kids will not or the hubby says it's a no go. So when a recipe is a hit for everyone, that is amazing! The Loaded Baked Potato Soup is a big hit in our house!! Thought I would share the recipe, its simple (I have a recipe for both the crock pot and stove) and it costs next to nothing to make!! And did I mention it is oh so good?!!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup

6 Large Potatoes, Peeled and Cubed
1 Large Onion, minced
1 Qt. Chicken Broth
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/4 Cup Butter
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 Cup Cream or Half and Half
1 Cup Cheese (Use your favorite Cheese - I usually use Colby Jack)
Bacon Bits or Crispy Bacon, Sour Cream, Chives or Green Onions and More Cheese to Garnish

Crock pot: Combined first 6 ingredients, cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours. When done mash potatoes and stir together. Add 1 cup (or more) of cheese. Then add Cream and stir together. This helps it thicken up. Cook on low for about 20-30 more mins. Place in bowls, have your family garnish with what they want and then enjoy!!

Stove top: Boil potatoes in large pot of water until fork tender. I didn't know how to cook my onions with them so I added them in big chunks to my water when boiling the potatoes. When the potatoes were done, I strained the onions out and then drained the water. Add the remaining ingredients, stir together and cook over low heat for about 10 mins. Place in bowls, have your family garnish with what they want and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment